Monday, October 25, 2010

Everyday Saints: Miss Margie

When you hear the word "saint," what comes to mind?   Someone in a long robe, with an other-worldly glow?   The apostle Peter?  Mother Theresa?  Your grandmother?  A football player from New Orleans? 

As you may know, the Bible uses the word "saint" simply to describe someone who has been sanctified by God (in other words, all Christians).  So if the Lord has drawn you to himself through Christ, you are a saint.  And you are likely surrounded by saints -- common, "everyday" people who also know the Lord.

We saints are not perfect.  We struggle, and we fail, and then we press on.     But we are ultimately and always covered by the One who was perfect, who never failed, and who pressed on to death to give us life in God, now and forever. 

Being very thankful for all the saints I have known throughout the years, I would like to give you glimpses into some of their lives, starting here:


This is Miss Margie, my 3rd and 4th grade Sunday School teacher.

For as long as I can remember Miss Margie has had white hair, stood at 5'0" and weighed about 87 lbs soaking wet.  And she has loved Jesus Christ with unparalleled passion. 

As an eight and nine-year-old, I didn't understand Miss Margie's devotion.   Barely bigger than her students, she stood every Sunday, pleading with us to learn the Bible, memorize scripture, and understand the wonder of the Lord's gift of salvation. 

We would actually snicker a little every Easter as Miss Margie would tell the Resurrection story, tears streaming down her cheeks.   We didn't understand.  Why would a holiday full of chocolate, jelly beans and "good news" be sad?  

Our spiritual dullness didn't faze Miss Margie.  She endured the whispers, note-passing and other shenanigans.  She told of the Lord's goodness, and she wept.  She offered a five dollar prize out of her teacher's salary to anyone who would memorize the books of the Bible in order. 

She longed for us to know the object of her longing. 

When my husband and I dropped by for a visit one Saturday about eleven years ago, we had to ring the bell several times before Miss Margie came to the door.  She had been in her bedroom, on her knees, communing with the Lord, and petitioning Him on behalf of others. Tears were fresh in her eyes.

Even on our last visit, when she no longer recognized us, Miss Margie recounted the day she met the Lord at a country alter at the age of 18 as the most wonderful day of her life.   

After her conversion, Miss Margie went to be a missionary  in the Appalachian Mountains, returning home to teach school, and remaining single.  At 86, Miss Margie has lost her parents, a brother, and a sister. She has no husband, no children, and no job.

I have no doubt, though, that she revels every day in her role as the radiant bride of the Eternal Bridegroom. 

Oh, to have a life, a heart, and a legacy as full as hers.  I would count it a privilege.

3 comments:

and 2 became 5 said...

you have me crying over here. thank you - the right reminder that I needed. What passionate & true devotion.

Susan said...

I clicked on your name in the comment on Big Mama's blog -- something I almost never do -- because I could so relate to your comment (live in old house with oooold door) and thought you looked familiar. I think I taught your daughter a few years ago at Intown's CBS. Loved seeing that you are involved in a ministry in this area as we pray for God to work in the city of Atlanta. We live off of 10th St. Blessings on your family.

Emily Mc. said...

What a fun connection Susan. That's a crazy, providential coincidence. Loved CBS. We did it for two years, and it was great. And it sounds like we're neighbors of sorts.
I have to say, I'm new at all this blogging stuff, so I'm not sure if you'll get notified about this comment, but I hope so. Blessings!