Sunday, November 07, 2010

BOO!

Happy Halloween! 

I may be a little late. 

I had an overloaded week last week which included, but was not limited to the following "extras": 

A dance recital
A church banquet
A doctor's appointment
A school auction
A new Bible study
An extra meeting with a boss
A school chapel visit

A little hard for me to cram all of that into the "margins" and still blog.   So I took a little break, only to find out that my mom is not the only one who reads this blog.  Thanks to my two other loyal readers for wondering where I was!  

Last Friday night we continued the scariness of the week by having dinner in a cemetery.   This was not really Halloween-themed, but our friends happen to live right behind a large, historic cemetery on a hill that overlooks the city.  

Our view: 

Our vittles:


Oh -- and another thing that's keeping me busy:  potty training.   Couldn't get girlfriend to give up her pizza, as you can see.  She has her priorities. 


And I confess, I'm a little bit of a nerd.  (For my 16th birthday I invited friends over to watch Shadowlands, the biographical movie of C.S. Lewis -- need I say more?).  But I LOVED walking through this pre-Civil War cemetery at dusk and thinking of what has transpired in the last 150+ years.   At one point we heard some echoing "booms" (probably from the nearby rail yard), and we pretended that they were cannons being fired.  It wasn't too much of a stretch.....hundreds of Civil War soldiers are said to be buried in trenches right in the cemetery. 

One of the highlights of our dusky trek was seeing this wall engraved with the 23rd Psalm.  That psalm happened to be our family Bible reading assignment for the weekend (I assume because of All Saints Day).  


The engraved verses were accompanied by a detailed carving of Jesus as the Shepherd. 

The children were deeply moved, as you can see:  



Happy Halloween/All Saints/Reformation Day!  A week late...







3 comments:

mrs said...

missed you! also, you've been making so many references to shadowlands the past week, i wonder....are you missing being 16? are you working to overcome something that happened at that so called "celebration?" or, is the movied really just THAT good? whatever the answer, wellspring will address it, right?

ShellyO said...

I'm going to have to say I'm a little disturbed by the pizza on the potty thing. But otherwise, I think dinner in the cemetery and civil war "boom" sounds are kind of neat. You do keep me laughin'.

hannah said...

You didn't mention in your busy list that you made me dinner and you're surprised that a girl who watched Shadowlands for her birthday selection has a daughter who says "thrice"!?!?